STARTUP VOUCHER is Open – Voucher will support startups established in Portugal with 30.000€
Applications in the Preparation Phase (2nd Call opens from November 30, 2023)
The Vouchers for Startups – New Green and Digital Products, are financial support for startup projects, in the green and digital areas, in the amount of 30 000 Euros per beneficiary, non-refundable.
The implementation of the incentive includes a global investment of 90 million euros, financed by the PRR – Recovery and Resilience Portuguese Plan, to be awarded through 3 thousand Vouchers until 2025.
With the aim of promoting the development of newly created business projects, which are intended for the development of products and services with a strong digital and green component, the Vouchers grant a value of 30 000 euros per beneficiary.
Eligible Entities for application:
SME’s of any nature or legal form, that have been created less than 10 years ago, and are based in Portugal.
Support projects framed in the promotion of digital business models, products or services, and/or that are characterised by the use of Open Data or Artificial Intelligence, with a positive contribution to the climate transition through high efficiency in the use of resources, that allow the reduction of pollution impacts, foster the circular economy, and that constitute new energy production solutions, Specifically:
- Start-up and growth support – Financing startups in the start-up or expansion phase;
- Support for participation in ignition and acceleration programs – Funding of startups that apply for ignition or acceleration programs;
- Support for the development of pilot projects – Funding for the demonstration of technology or business/service model, developed by newly created companies, in order to allow the Startup to demonstrate its technology proving its effectiveness.
The COVID-19 pandemic crisis has been accompanied by a sharp global economic downturn. As a response from the European Union, the «Vouchers for Startups» are part of the public investment programme, called Next Generation EU, in turn embodied in the Recovery and Resilience Plan (RRP), which comprises around €13.9 billion in non-repayable investment for Portugal, as well as €2.3 billion in loans. Given the current context, this measure represents a fundamental boost to stimulate the economic recovery and the development of the national entrepreneurship ecosystem.
The allocation allocated to this call is € 65,000,000 (sixty-five million euros).
Eligible Geographical Area
The entire national territory, including the Autonomous Regions of the Azores and Madeira.
- Companies created less than 10 years ago;
- Be an SME, of any nature or under any legal form;
- Be based in Portugal.
- Funding to be granted per Voucher: up to €30,000 per beneficiary
The financing must be confirmed through the realization of eligible expenses of the same amount, corresponding to a rate of 100% non-repayable (up to 30 thousand euros).
- Costs with technical staff directly assigned to the implementation of the project, and the skills/valences framed in the spirit of the call must be evidenced and correspond to a minimum level of qualification VI (NQF), up to the value of €22,500 (75% of the total eligible cost);
- Expenses with accreditation or technological certification of human resources;
- Acquisition of Specialized External Services, such as support services for the digitalization of business processes, marketing services, product and service development, consulting and other specialized services for the pursuit of the project’s objectives;
- Acquisition or operational lease of equipment, as well as software licensing or subscription costs;
- Costs of protecting/valuing intellectual property rights;
- Indirect costs, calculated on the basis of simplified costs, based on the application of a flat rate of 15% of human resources costs.
Expenses assumed from the date of submission of the application are eligible, and the project cannot be started on the date of submission of the application.
The projects have a maximum duration of 12 months, from the date of signature of the Term of Acceptance, and must be completed no later than 30 September 2025.
- Relevance of the project to the objectives of the measure, through the presentation of an innovative business model, product or service with a strong digital component, scalable, with strong growth potential and with a positive contribution to the climate transition;
- Implementation capacity of the beneficiaries, through a management team with technological and management skills appropriate to the development of the business model;
- Impact of the project on the competitiveness of the beneficiary companies, through the contribution of the project to a differentiation of the startups, in relation to their competition in the market.
- Initial advance, with the signing of the Term of Acceptance, in the amount of 7,500 euros;
- 2 quarterly advances, amounting to 7,500 euros;
- Final payment of 7,500 euros, with the submission of a final payment request with the eligible expenses incurred, to be submitted within 90 days after the physical and financial completion of the project.
The fixed value of each voucher will be made available in 4 quarterly tranches and the applications for each quarterly cut-off are analysed by Startup Portugal.
The amounts of support received and not justified, through the realization of eligible expenses within 12 months from the date of approval and the signing of the term of acceptance, will be returned within 30 days, under penalty of being subject to recovery.
Application Selection Process
The selection process is carried out on a quarterly basis, taking into account the date of entry of applications (quarterly cut-offs).
Only applications that ensure compliance with the Do No Significant Harm (DNSH) principle within the meaning of Article 17 of Regulation (EU) 2020/852 of the European Parliament and of the Council are admissible.
The deadline for submission of applications will remain open until the number of applications that reach the limit determined according to the budget allocation is received.
The reception of applications may be suspended before the aforementioned limit is reached, through prior communication to be published on the websites of the PRR, IAPMEI, Startup Portugal and Portugal Digital Mission Structure, at least 3 working days in advance of the date established for the suspension.
FAQ’s: FAQ’s StartUP Vouchers
Source: Startup Portugal